Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Take a Break: Make it with Sriracha


It’s sugar season in Vermont and the tradition of  pickles with your “sugar on snow.” Basically maple syrup is boiled so it’s very thick. You then pour it over snow and it becomes a taffy consistency. For some reason it’s served with donuts and pickles. I definitely get the pickles as it cuts the sweetness, and I now have a pickle that I’m addicted to.

 

Thanks to a friend who was looking for “hot pickles,” I made a batch of Sriracha refrigerator pickles and haven’t looked back. I’ve now moved on to “hot honey” and Sriracha Aioli.

 

Not familiar with Sriracha? It’s a spicy Thai sauce that has taken on a life of its own. It’s not all that hot but offers an incredible kick to food.

 

 So here are some recipes to try.

 

Sriracha Refrigerator Pickles  Make sure the cucumbers are completely covered in the brine. They can keep for months as long as they are immersed. These pickles disappear quickly, so instead of starting from scratch, I just add more cucumbers to the brine. I’ve found they’re pretty tasty the next day. My son thinks it’s the perfect brine for Bloody Mary’s.

 

Sriracha Aioli The combination of mayo, sriracha, garlic, salt and lime is delicious particularly if you make it and let sit for a few days. One of my kids uses it as a dip, where I’ve been mixing it into salad dressing, tuna salad etc.

 

Sriracha “hot Honey” My oldest experimented with this and was confused by how thick the honey became. You can always put the honey in the microwave for a few zaps to thin it out.

 

There are lots and lots of recipes to try, whether you like a lot of heat or a little

 

Not interested in today’s activities, try the Take a Break Pinterest Board.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment