Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Take a Break: Halloween 2011 Divination Games

On Halloween, my mother had us do all sorts of funny games, such as walking down the cellar steps backwards, throwing peels of apples over our shoulder, and some odd way of looking into a mirror. As I grew older, I realized these were divination games that she and my father had grown up with.

In high school, we would take the apple from our lunch, and while twisting the stem, we’d say the alphabet. On whatever letter the stem came out, that was the initial of the man you would marry-I went to an all girls school. While this was not a game I learned at home, I’ve since seen variations of it as part of the divination games at Halloween.

Oct. 31 was believed to be the time of year when the veil is thinnest between this world and the next, so the idea that spirits could tell your future was quite popular. Try out some divination games so you’ll be all set for Halloween:

Halloween Divination Games

Victorian Era Halloween Divination Games

Bobbing for Apples: Prophecy and Divination Games Using Apples

Halloween Tarot Card Reading

How to Read Tea Leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment