First the Sweet Treats
• Witches Hats: Take a fudge stripe cookie. Adhere a Hershey’s Kiss with orange frosting to the chocolate side. If you want to make sure the hat peak and rim match, melt some Kisses and ice the cookie of your choice with the melted chocolate, quickly topping with the Kiss so that it will stick. Decorate with orange icing.
• Make your own candy corn. Haven’t tried it, but it does look interesting.
• Candy corn cookies: With refrigerated sugar dough-unless you want to make your own cookie dough-add orange food coloring. Cut out triangles and bake. Allow to cool and dip the bottoms into melted dark chocolate and the tips into melted white chocolate.
• Dark Candy Apples: Select twigs from your yard and wipe clean, insert into a deep red apple. Now dunk in melted chocolate.
• Red Velvet Brain Cake: This is really clever and looks like it would be easy to do.
• Caramel Pop Corn: Like the sound of this recipe since it doesn’t use corn syrup and you bake it in the oven thereby eliminating the need for a candy thermometer. This recipe calls for air pop corn. You can easily do this in the microwave. Place the popcorn kernels in the bag: Depending on how much popcorn you need, you can use 1/4 to 1/2 cup kernels. Fold the bag: Fold the top of the bag down three times, making sure to leave plenty of room inside the bag for the popped kernels. Microwave the bag: Microwave the bag on HIGH for 4 minutes. No brown bag around? Make it in a bowl using a 21/2 cup microwave-safe bowl. Add ¼ cup popcorn to the bowl and cover with a microwave-safe plate that completely covers the bowl. Microwave on high until the popping slows down to about 4 seconds between each pop, 4 minutes and 45 seconds. Remove just the plate using a potholder or thick dish towel, being careful to avoid direct contact with the hot steam from the bowl. Then remove the bowl.
Now for the eerie treats:
• The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe, read by Christopher Waken
• The Criminal: Stories of people who’ve done wrong, been wronged or gotten caught somewhere in the middle. The artwork alone sends shivers up my spine. Just went to a conference where the co-founder of this site Phoebe Judge spoke. She was amazing and not at all creepy though.
• 23 Two Sentence Horror Stories: As the tag line says, “That will scare the hell out of you.” Read the first one and yeah, they’re right.