Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Take a Break: Explore the art of Yayoi Kusama



 A celebrated Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama, has lived voluntarily in a psychiatric hospital since 1977.  With an international following, Kusama was born in 1929 in the mountain town of Matsumoto, began painting from hallucinations she experienced as a young girl. Some of her antiwar sentiments stem from the fact that she lived through World War II in Japan, going to work at a military factory to sew parachutes when she was just 13 years old. “Since I was 10 years old I have been painting every day,” she said. “And even now there is not a day that I do not paint.” She added, “I still see polka dots everywhere.”

As Kusama explains, "one day I was looking at the red flower patterns of the tablecloth on a table, and when I looked up I saw the same pattern covering the ceiling, the windows and the walls, and finally all over the room, my body, and the universe. I felt as if I had begun to self-obliterate, to revolve in the infinity of endless time and the absoluteness of space, and be reduced to nothingness."









How to paint like Kusama


Not interested in today’s activities, try the Take a Break Pinterest Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment