Saturday, December 12, 2020

Life with Chronic Conditions in the time of Covid: Nurture Yourself with Self Care


Between the holidays, Covid, winter and general social isolation we can all use a bit of  self-care to stay healthy and sane as we get ready to head into 2021. So, without further ado, below are things to consider that can help improve your sense of well-being:

 

• Try a spot of relaxation/meditation: Voices make all the difference for me. I’ve found Andrew Johnson’s voice helps me relax and even fall asleep when I find myself wide awake at 2 am mulling over something I couldn’t possibly do a thing about.

 

Moment of relaxation 


 

 

Guided Meditation for Resilience 


 

 

• Designate a relaxing space at home: Make it your own, even if it’s a small corner of another room, or just a special comfy chair.  It’s your space so play soft music, light candles or do whatever makes you feel calm.

 

• Plan something: Even if it’s a plan to drive around and look at holiday lights (lots of social media tips on where to go), having something to look forward to helps.

 

• Play Music: Just talked to my 97 year old friend, who because she’s stuck at home, ordered herself an Alexa so she can listen to Frank Sinatra and her favorite music from the 40s. Talk about a mood elevation.

 

• Keep moving-indoors and out of doors: For me getting 10,000 steps in a day is helpful. However, that’s far from a realistic goal for everyone, and there are certain days I’m active but not in a way that adds up to steps. For example, if I’m on an archeological dig (one of my favorite things to volunteer to do) I’m on my feet for hours screening and I’m wiped by the end of the day. Another big plus of the digs is that I’m outside in nature. Lots of research supports being in nature and there are even “green prescriptions,” where you are encouraged to walk in the woods, park etc.

 

So here’s some interesting info on how many steps you take, Research finds that more steps are better but even a lower amount can achieve health benefits. A study following 4,840 men and women 40 years of age and older for about 10 years found that those taking at least 8,000 steps daily had a 51% lower death rate from all causes compared with those taking 4,000 steps or fewer. [20] A large cohort of more than 16,000 older American women (mean age 72 years) from the Women’s Health Study followed for 4 years found that those taking 4,400 steps a day had a 41% lower death rate compared with those taking about 2,700 steps a day. [21] Death rates continued to drop in relation to taking more steps up to 7,500 daily, but steps beyond that did not show additional benefit. Walking for Exercise Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

 

• Lifting Weights: Definitely helps to weight train twice a week. Don’t have weights? No worries, use can goods, jugs or small buckets filled with water or sand.

 

• 20 minute clean: Definitely feel better when the bed is made, dishes cleaned and put away and the floor vacuumed. De cluttering my office, while I listen to a podcast like Criminal  results in a cleaner office (a big win for me) and I’ve learned something interesting.

 

• Socialize earlier in the day: Getting sufficient sleep is important, plus late night eating triggers my GERD. Doing activities earlier in the day gives you the evening to unwind and more likely to get required sleep. In short Zoom a lunch bunch versus Zoom nightcaps.

 

• What you drink matters: Eliminating sodas, reducing alcoholic beverages, and drinking water and tea makes a difference. VT winters are very dry, particularly if you are heating with wood, so drinking plenty of water is a must. Various studies support drinking tea, particularly green and black.

 

• Manicures and pedicures help: One of the first things I plan to do when Covid is under control is get a pedicure. As much as I soak my feet and scrub them, I just don’t do the same job as a professional, particularly cutting the nails. Healthy feet does wonders for the rest of your body.

 

• Let the sunshine in: If you can’t be in nature, open the shades and welcome the sun into your home and office. Of course, draw the shades when the sun goes down to keep the heat in.

 

• Learn something new At the moment I need new recipes as I’m so bored with my own cooking.

 

• Garden: For some reason I’m a better indoor gardener and once the holidays are over, I start thinking about what I can start indoors, such as lettuce, herbs etc. By March, our bedroom is awash in baby plants. All that new growth improves my mood.

 

• Snuggle with a Pet

 

• Self massage: Lots of online videos to help with this.

 

• Take a nap


 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete