Saturday, January 7, 2023

Life with Chronic Conditions: Declutter


A very popular New Year’s resolution is to de clutter your home, office, garage etc. I’ve done several posts in and around this topic, which continue to be very popular and the links appear below. However, the one thing I didn’t really capture-the reasons behind clutter.

 NPR offers a “Life Kit” podcast “Tools to Help You Get it Together,” and this week’s edition features “the decluttering philosophy that can help you keep your home organized.”   It’s a 20 minute listen and I found it helpful.

 

While I’m not wild about housekeeping, I do a fairly decent job of decluttering with one exception-my office. 

 

My kids complain about my office whenever they come home, and threaten to clean it. However, it’s my personal messy creative space. Listening to Star Hansen, who is interviewed for the NPR podcast, I realize I don’t need to feel guilty about this space. It works for me, so too bad for them. That said, with the increasing use of Zoom, I think people are getting tired of me not showing my face, as I just as soon not show my office. 

 

I still find the “spark joy” of the KonMari method helpful, though I struggle to find homes for some of the stuff I need to unload. However,  I have no interest in having the type of home she lays claim to nor do I attribute my messy work space as a sign of a deep seated emotional issue. 

 

Making things makes a mess and I like having my art supplies nearby for easy access. I also like to cook and so my kitchen counters are lined with equipment I use regularly, jars filled with most frequently used ingredients, cook books and a pot rack overhead. My inspiration is Julia Child’s kitchen not Better Homes and Garden. In short, how your home looks has to appeal to you and those you live with. Oh and the NPR podcast does provide some tips on dealing with partners/spouse who may not share your view on clutter. 

 

Generally, I don’t like “visual clutter,” which I need to work on for my office as somedays I have to agree with my kids that it’s a hot mess. I’m basically a minimalist at heart and less is definitely more in my book. If I don't buy it or bring it home, it can't take up space. Yet, I do like a well stocked pantry as well as an art supply corner. So long as it serves a purpose for me-it’s not clutter. 

 

One thing I’ve learned about keeping things “tidier” is to actually do some decorating. I tend not to place a book, tea mug, mail or other items in spaces where I’ve put something together that I find pleasing to the eye.


My last comment on de cluttering is something I've known since I was a kid, it helps me to enlist a friend to help with major de cluttering, and in turn, I'm more than happy to help others with the process. 

 

Below are previous posts on cleaning and decluttering, specifically designed when living with a chronic condition:

 

• The KonMari Method for Tidying When Affected by a Chronic Condition 

 

Staying Tidy/Alternatives to Retail therapy 

 

• Housekeeping When Sick/Preparing for Colds and Flu 

 

Cleaning When Affected by a Chronic Condition 


 Get Rid of the “Stuff”-De Cluttering will make you feel better 

No comments:

Post a Comment