Saturday, October 2, 2021

Life with Chronic Conditions: Chronically Capable

 


Having to give up her career because of the aggressive treatment schedule for her chronic Lyme Disease, Hannah Olson gave herself and many others a new lease on life when she founded Chronically Capable.

At 20, I found out I had chronic Lyme disease.

 

At 21, I graduated college in 3 years in the top 10% of my class, and landed my first job at a top-tier design agency in Washington, D.C.

 

At 22, I was forced to leave my dream job as my treatment for Lyme required me to be on an IV for 6 hours a day, which was not compatible with a traditional 9-5 job. 

 

Although my mind and ambition were perfectly intact, the disease prevented me from physically working in an office. Demoralized, I began to worry that there was no place for someone like me in the American workforce. It was not designed for people who suffer from illness or disability. 

So, I’ve decided to change that by creating Chronically Capable, the first web application specifically designed to connect the chronically ill and disabled to flexible, remote work opportunities.


 

The self-esteem a job provides is as important as the pay check. In addition to signing up for Chronically Capable, here are some other sites to consider:

 

Tips to Find Jobs for People with Disabilities

 What Can You Do? The Campaign for Disability employment 

How to Manage Work When You Have a Chronic Illness 

Best Work-at-Home Jobs for People with Chronic Illnesses 

 

Keep in mind that until you can find the right job, volunteer. Not only can this lead to a job but you are helping to enhance your “social capital.” Not familiar with the term? Check out  The Importance of Social Capital for those Affected by Chronic Conditions

No comments:

Post a Comment