Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Take a Break: Fruit Carving

It’s been hot where I live and so I have little interest in turning on my stove, or even cooking for that matter. I tend to gravitate to fruit, which has recently made me start thinking of fruit carving.

I can use a melon baller just fine, and take larger pieces of fruit, such as a melon or pineapple slices and cut with a cookie cutter, but I wanted a bit more zip to my fruit. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot you can do with a melon baller and a cookie cutter, particularly if you cut out an interesting shape with a cookie cutter and dip a portion of it in chocolate.

If you have a chance to see edible fruit arrangements, they will use a flower cookie cutter to cut pineapple or honey dew melon. They then use a melon baller to make the center of the flower using a different color melon, attachinh the ball to the center using a toothpick. What could be easier?

So get out your pumpkin carving kit, and/or sharp knife with a point, some skewers and tooth picks and use the links below to create some amazing centerpieces as well as keep you amused for hours if you like.

Thai Fruit Carving video

Thai Carving using fruits, vegetables: Includes 16 different designs. Very clear instructions, with step-by-step pictures.

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Roses

Carving Fruit into Edible Arrangements Blog

Asia Recipes This link provides a nice overview of the types of fruits and vegetables to use for carving, how to prep them and ways to preserve them when finish. Step by step directions are provided for making a watermelon basket, apple leaf, simple white lotus cucumber garnish.

Video of roses with citrus peel

No comments:

Post a Comment