Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Take a Break: Draw with Willow

This past week, I was fortunate to spend the afternoon in my town’s local café talking to the author and illustration Willow Bascom. Over 20 years ago, Willow developed lupus after the birth of her third child. This caused a stroke, which left her hands very compromised. As a project for her hand therapist, Willow drew a paisley pig that became the inspiration for her book Paisley Pig and Friends: A Multicultural ABC. It is the book that you want as a “read aloud” for your children and grandchildren.

Recently Willow completed an activity book to go along Paisley Pig. After it was completed, she realized that this was the workbook she wished she had to help recover from her stroke.

Lucky for us, Willow has included some activity pages on her website that you can download and do. So take a break and draw with Willow.

If you aren’t in a drawing mood, I found myself fascinated by a clip my brother sent me where you can watch the International Space Station being assembled. Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful to meet you Margo, I enjoyed our chat very much. I'm also enjoying all the wonderful information you have compiled on your blog. Thanks for the good work you are doing.

    Hope people find the activity pages fun. If anyone has ideas for things they'd like to see in an activity book I'd love to hear about it! Willow

    ReplyDelete