Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Take a Break: Try Container Gardening

The calendar reads spring, but my yard says mid winter. With the increasing sunlight, I have the urge to start planting. Besides weather, I have an additional challenge, deer.

Our trusty dog Haunter kept them, and other critters, at bay from my gardens. Sadly, at almost 15 years of age, Haunter passed on in January. While we’ve been very sad, the deer are doing the happy dance and have taken over the back yard. Needing some other ways to garden, I’m trying a variety of containers this year.

Scrounge around your house or check out the local thrift store, as there are lots of things that will work as a container: old strainer, rubber boots, glass jars, the fish bowl that you have left under the sink, tin cans, baskets, bowls, buckets etc. One of my favorites is a wheelbarrow.  Not only does it hold a lot, you can wheel it outside for maximum sunshine, yet in the event of an overnight frost, it’s easy to wheel indoors. For more inspiration, check out 12 Unusual and Upcycled Container Gardens. 

• First things first, herbs. I’ve been saving my glass jars all winter so I can grow my basil, thyme, rosemary, dill and whatever else in doors this summer.  Last year, I grew herbs in window boxes in the kitchen so I wouldn’t have to trek out to the garden. While my neighbors were complaining about slugs and other critters nibbling on their herbs, I was contently clipping what I needed for cooking and even had enough to get me through the winter. Put stones in the bottom of the glass container-important for drainage-before adding soil. 


• How to Container Garden to Grow Fresh Vegetables: Good website to learn the basics. 

• How to Grow Veggies in a Pot: Video on planting tomatoes in a container. 

While I’m very oriented to a garden I can eat, if you are more interested in ornamentals, check out 48 Cool Container Gardens for inspiration. 





Not interested in today’s activity? Check out the Take a Break Pinterest site for lots of different ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment