Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Take a Break: Make a Paper Wig

A friend of mine made a curly haired paper wig for Mardi Gras last year and it looked terrific. Since then I’ve gone on line and been impressed with the variety of paper wigs you can make. While perfect for a Halloween costume, these can be so fabulous, consider them year round.

Start by watching Martha’s Stewart’s video tutorial to understand the basics. I don’t recommend her cabbage approach for making the form. Use the same technique, but start off by using the person who will be wearing the wig. I did it on my husband, thinking if it fit his head it would fit mine. Unfortunately, I wear my hair up a lot and so I actually needed a larger size.

Once you have the basic shape, you can move it to a ball, overturned bowl or even a large balloon. You just need a surface that will hold steady while you tape things to it.

Paper is great but don’t shy away from things like curling ribbon, wrapping paper, paper flowers etc. Start from the bottom and work up using tape or glue. For inspiration, check out the following:



Not interested in today’s activity? Check out the Take a Break Pinterest for lots of Take a Break ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment