Saturday, November 30, 2019

Life with Chronic Conditions: Some Things I Just Can’t Do




Having my wrist in a cast due to a fracture has been a humbling experience, and a real eye opener as to just how clueless people can be.

While driving to New York City for Thanksgiving, three times I had to tell my husband that I couldn’t do certain things, like eat a snack while driving, as I only had one hand. People see me struggling to do something, and do they jump in to help? Often not. Some just stare and even  say, “Gee, it’s amazing you can do that.”

Fortunately at Thanksgiving Dinner I was seated between two people who totally got it and made it possible for me to eat without stressing about how I was going to pass dishes or try to get food on my plate.

 My take home from this Thanksgiving is that I have much to be thankful for, including not having a major injury as a result of my accident, but I’m saddened to see how indifferent people are about helping the people around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment