Saturday, November 23, 2019

“Call me if you need anything” isn’t the correct response when someone is ill or injured


Three weeks ago I broke my wrist. While many have offered well wishes and a speedy recovery, others said “let me know if there is anything I can do.” Only a few people responded with meals, which quite frankly are hard to prepare when your arm is in a cast, and were much appreciated by me and my family.

So here’s the thing, most people aren’t going to call you for help. For those of you saying, “but I don’t know what they need, “ or “they’re very private and I don’t want to intrude,” be aware that when you are dealing with an acute injury or illness, you don ‘t know what you need.

If someone’s situation is well beyond their normal, and enough to require help, there are plenty of ways to do so without intruding.

The smallest of gestures can make all the difference. A card with a gift certificate for gas or a local eatery/grocery store is always helpful as people need to eat and there are going to be plenty of times where driving is needed. If the person lives in the city and doesn’t drive, Uber offers gift certificates.

If I need help, I’ll be calling those who have demonstrated concern by having made a meal or offered concrete ways they can help-e.g. I’ll be by Tuesday to stack your wood unless that’s a bad time for you.

Instead of elaborating, below are links from previous posts that outline the ways you can be helpful, not intrusive, and make a difference when people need it most.



No comments:

Post a Comment