Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Take a Break: Paint Pysanky Eggs


As a kid I learned about Ukrainian Easter (pysanky) eggs from my neighbor, who had come to the USA after WWII. Thanks to her careful explanations and taking a course, over the years I’ve made various eggs, but they sadly broke, including one from my neighbor.

 

I decided to use a plastic egg and paint it and use metallic markers to create the traditional designs. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Walmart has already thought of this and offers black and white plastic eggs that you can decorate.

 

Whether you paint a plastic egg or purchase one, check out this website for patterns to draw or paint ranging from beginner patterns to advanced. 

 

These types of decorated eggs are made throughout Eastern Europe as well as Russia.  There are various legends and stories that go with the eggs. Legend has it that there is a huge evil creature chained to a hillside. Every year when Easter Eggs are made, the number of eggs is counted. If only a few eggs are made, the creature's bonds are loosened, and evil flows through the earth. However, if many eggs are decorated, the creature's bonds are tightened, and its evil is kept in check. Learn Pysanky

 

Not interested in today’s activities, try the Take a Break Pinterest Board.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment