Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Take a Break: With Rocks

Whenever I go to the beach, or walk along a riverbank, I’m drawn to rocks. Smooth, streaked with color, different shapes, thin or thick, I’m picking them up and putting them in my pocket.

This past summer, we had a family reunion on Cape Cod. Every morning, I would begin my day walking on the beach, watching the gray seals, and collecting rocks. I would bring them back to the house and deposit them on the dinning room table. Throughout our stay, the pile grew along with the various shapes and designs people were making with them. We’d sit around the table and talk, all the while stacking stones to make wonderful art.

When we left, I returned the bulk of our rock art to the shore, but I had to bring some home. A collection sits on my desk. Most of them have lost their wonderful ocean smell, but I make art with them while I’m on the phone, taking a break from work or whenever the mood strikes my fancy. The site of them alone evokes wonderful memories as well.

Find some rocks-you can always go to the Dollar Store if need be-and enjoy the amazing art you can make with them. Check out this website of a rock pile artist that takes it to a whole new level.

No comments:

Post a Comment