Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Take a Break: Make a Vase that Reflects Your Environment

Take a Break: Make a Vase that Reflects Your Environment

While on vacation, I happened to wonder into the lobby of a hotel that had the most beautiful flowers in a vase filled with mussel shells. The flowers not only were highlighted by the shells, but they were locally grown.

Today’s break is to create your own vase of flowers, which incorporates natural materials in your area. If you are fortunate to live near the ocean, you can collect beach glass, periwinkles, small pebbles or whatever else that appears on the beach. Try to collect wild flowers to accent the objects you put into the water. If you aren’t able to go picking wildflowers, purchase flowers that are locally grown. Farmer’s markets are a good place to look.

If you live in a city, there are going to be all sorts of objects you may find. Years ago, I saw a water vase filled with Barbie Doll shoes. Very cool. Just make sure to clean whatever you find. Don’t think there are wildflowers in the city? Think again. New York City offers a Wild Flower Week http://nycwildflowerweek.org/ every year. Chances are good there are interesting things growing in your community, some of which you may never have noticed.

This weekend, I decided to make some of these arrangements. I ended up using stones, found in the river beds in my neighborhood. My “flowers” included grasses, day lilies, cat tails, Black Eyed Susan and some I don’t know the name of. It was easiest to get the stones in the vase if I tipped it on its side. I made my arrangement and then filled it with water. Because wildflowers don’t last as long as commercial ones, I looked for items that would dry well. If you are lucky enough to have them, cat tails will hold up until it’s time for winter greens, as will various thistles.

No comments:

Post a Comment