Saturday, September 25, 2010

Am I’m Being Phased Out?

Am I’m Being Phased Out?

I learned today, via e-mail, that I was found “not to be a good match” for a job that I was more than qualified for. Being overqualified, or having no background for many of the jobs available where I live, has resulted in a constant stream of rejection letters for the last five years. This has been humbling and frustrating.

In discussing this latest rejection with my husband, he noted that we are being “phased out.” While he thinks in terms like this because he can’t buy film for his video camera that’s18 years old, many people my age (baby boomer generation) believe they are being phased out because they can’t find work. They are among the first to be let go if there is a lay off. Interviews are scarce and more often then not, they end with a letter (or now e-mail) that says “thanks but no thanks.” Many believe they are lucky to have a job at all, and are concerned that they will never have the financial stability their parents enjoyed.

How much of it is age? Are we intimidating because we are often more qualified and experienced than the person interviewing us? Even when we are willing to work for much less, are we still too scary for those younger with less knowledge and experience?

So what does this have to do with chronic conditions? The fact is, many of the baby boomer generation are either living with a chronic condition, will have one in the not too distant future and/or are caring for someone that has one. Many are sandwiched between adolescent kids (or grandchildren in some cases) and elderly parents.

In the traditional work model, being older, having a chronic illness, and/or being a caregiver aren’t characteristics that are perceived by employers to be of value. However, it’s the boomers perceptions of themselves as unique, trendsetters and a belief they can make the world better that can help us thrive. Below are some things to consider:

• People with purpose live longer and are generally happier. Happier people live longer than those who aren’t. Purpose isn’t determined by a job title or a paycheck. Money doesn’t equal purpose.

• The older you are, the more you’ve dealt with situations, be it caregiver or person living with a chronic condition, the more skill sets you’ve developed. While this may not translate into a 9-5 job, it definitely makes you very qualified to participate in one of the newest social movements-Time Banks. For every hour you spend doing something for someone in your community, you earn one Time Dollar. Then you have a Time Dollar to spend on having someone do something for you. I know people with major chronic illness who participate in such programs and they are able to contribute according to their schedule. Check out what’s available in your area by going to Time Banks or googling “barter programs” and your location. If there is nothing available, start talking to friends, family and neighbors about starting one in your area.

• Volunteer. Sometimes volunteer positions can become jobs.

• If you are reading this on-line, particularly if it’s your own computer, you’re a step ahead. Check out eHow’s tips on “How to Make Money Using Your Computer.”

• Write or tell your story. In the process of doing so, note the trends in how you’ve coped in the past. Are their situations, which you thought were total disasters but ultimately led you to make changes that improved your life? As the coordinator of my local historical society, this type of writing is among the most useful in understanding how past generations functioned. When I find a farm journal, where the writer shares their story of what they are facing and how they deal with it, it helps me put my own life in a much better perspective.

• Live simply. It’s amazing how little we really need. Unfortunately, our economy is built on the “buy buy buy” model, so there are lots of media messages to that effect. When I think about all the purchases I’ve made in my life, the two that I enjoy the most are my computer and my sofa. The latter is just the right size for stretching out and reading. I should also say that I really appreciate my car, as she runs like a dream even though she’s 11 years old and has 200,000 miles on the odometer. Check out Live Simple for some ideas on ways to reduce.

• There are organizations designed specifically to help you find work. Contact your local community action agency to find out what’s available in your community.

I am fortunate that I work part time for a historical society. More than anything it provides me with a sense of how people have lived, worked, grown old and died in my town. Their stories, be they written or told through the items they once used, date back hundreds of years. They have seen good times and bad. At the end of the day, we are more alike then different and our differences are often what help us move forward as people and community.

Ultimately my husband is right that products, such as his video camera, are being phased out. However, we aren’t our “stuff,” and as people, while we will die, the ultimate phase out, we can leave a legacy that helps those who come after us.

No comments:

Post a Comment