Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Take a Break: Enjoy, Remember and Celebrate Roger Ebert


Film critic Roger Ebert died last week after an incredible career and an amazing life. For a person who made his living by talking about the movies, losing his voice, as well as his ability to eat and speak, from cancer, caused him to create a second career on-line. People talk loudly and slowly to me. Sometimes they assume I am deaf. There are people who don't want to make eye contact. It is human nature to look away from illness. We don't enjoy a reminder of our own fragile mortality. That's why writing on the Internet has become a lifesaver for me. My ability to think and write have not been affected. And on the Web, my real voice finds expression. Remaking my voice 

 Among my favorite comments he wrote was “Kindness” covers all of my political beliefs. No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.

Today’s take a break is all about making yourself and those around you a little happier by checking out the things Ebert enjoyed. Consider:

• Watching one of the “great movies” as selected by Ebert 

• Reading Ebert’s blog, particularly his last post “A Leave of Presence.” 

•  Read Ebert’s Remembering Gene, which was about his relationship with Siskel (the other half of the Siskel and Ebert television program). 

• Give people around you the famous “thumbs up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment