Saturday, May 18, 2013

Trust the Process


The last few months have been particularly challenging for me. I’d say the universe is picking on me if I didn’t know better. These experiences, as hard as they may seem at times, and as much as they challenge my beliefs, are the breeding ground for new and positive changes. When I’m in the midst of one of these upheavals it’s hard at times to have any sort of perspective on it.

One of the good things about writing this blog is it does cause me to focus on bigger topics. So today, I found myself reading one of  my past posts Change Happens: Gaining a Better Perspective On It. It reminded of a man with AIDS that I had worked with many years ago. He was always telling us that life was a process and we have to trust in it.

This led me to search for a better understanding of “trust the process” and I came across this quote from Shambhala Publications.

Whether in painting, poetry, performance, music, dance, or life, there is an intelligence working in every situation. This force is the primary carrier of creation.

If we trust it and follow its natural movement, it will astound us with its ability to find a way through problems—and even make creative use of our mistakes and failures.

There is a magic to this process that cannot be controlled by the ego. Somehow it always finds the way to the place where you need to be, and a destination you never could have known in advance.
When everything seems as if it is hopeless and going nowhere . . . trust the process.

 When I’m having some of my darker thoughts, just saying those words lifts my mood as I recognize this is not a permanent state and there is something positive that will result.

The one word of caution I would make to anyone, living with a chronic condition or not, as much as positive change can come from difficult situations, they can also tax the body. In short, trust in the process but don’t linger in it for any longer than you need too. If you aren’t seeing your way through it, or if you find yourself spiraling into depression, get some help.







No comments:

Post a Comment