Saturday, May 31, 2014

Reminders to Inspire, Support, and Guide

There are times when it helps to hear, read or see something that makes us think differently. It could be inspirational or offer a new way to cope with our current situation. It can provide an insight into the mystery of life or help us recognize what we should be doing versus what we are doing.  

Over the years, when I come across something that makes me stop and take notice, I add them to my “quotes files.” When I’m feeling a bit perplexed or in a funk, I find it helpful to read them.

The first quote that I remember wanting to memorize was by the humorist and author of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, James Thurber.  Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness. Thurber was into mindfulness way before it became popular.

While I’ve included some of the phrases from my "Quotes" stash below, I encourage you to develop your own and store them where you have easy access to them.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. Steve Jobs

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein 

We are all in this world together - people , plants and animals - and we had better make the most of our opportunities. We are all here for some purpose: I believe that it is to live a good life, individually and collectively. That means for us humans to do as little harm as possible, to other humans, to animals and to the whole environment, and to do as much good as possible. to live simply, not elaborately; to consume the least possible, not the most possible. If you have any religion, let it be helpfulness, love and unity. We will then fulfil the purpose and take our part in the great plan. It is as simple as that. Helen Nearing


Truth is a pathless land." Man cannot come to it through any organization, through any creed, through any dogma, priest or ritual, not through any philosophic knowledge or psychological technique. He has to find it through the mirror of relationship, through the understanding of the contents of his own mind, through observation and not through intellectual analysis or introspective dissection. Man has built in himself images as a fence of security -- religious, political, personal. These manifest as symbols, ideas, beliefs. The burden of these images dominates man's thinking, his relationships and his daily life. These images are the causes of our problems for they divide man from man. Krishnamurti

I finally learned, with the help of this therapist, that depression didn't need to be pictured as the hand of an enemy trying to crush me, but rather the hand of a friend trying to press me down to ground on which it was safe to stand. And through that realization, I understood that part of what took me into depression was that I was living life at artificial heights, at untenable elevations, so that the elevation involving a kind of inflated ego or a free-floating spirituality or a detached sense of "oughts" and in that sense a false ethic, or simply living intellectually in my head more than in my feelings and in my body, that all of those things put you at such altitude that if you trip and fall, which you're inevitably going to do. Parker Palmer

Forget about fear of pain. It's usually much worse than the actual pain. Epicurus

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

No tree has branches so foolish as to fight amongst themselves. Ojibwa saying 

 May we be helped to do here, whatever is most right. American Indian Prayer



Paul Goble (From: Beyond the Ridge):
“Anything that has a birth must also have a death.
  The spirit is not born with a person,
            But is given at the time of birth.
Therefore, because the spirit has no birth,
            It will never die.”


Don't Turn an Excuse into an Identity Tony Robbins

Om [his term for God] told me that there is not one universe but many-in fact, more than I could conceive-but that love lay at the center of them all. Evil was present in all the other universes as well, but only in the tiniest trace amounts. Evil was necessary because with out it free will was impossible, and without free will there could be no growth-no forward movement, no chance for us to become what God longed for us to be. Horrible and all-powerful as evil sometimes seemed to be in a world like ours, in the larger picture, love was overwhelmingly dominant, and it would ultimately be triumphant." “Proof of Heaven: A neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife.” Eben Alexander MD

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
     
            "People often ask me at this age, ‘Who am I passing the torch to?’ First of all, I’m not giving up my torch, thank you! I’m using my torch to light other people’s torches. … If we each have a torch, there’s a lot more light." Gloria Steinem



No comments:

Post a Comment