Saturday, August 26, 2017

Life With Chronic Disease: A Happy Life



 Being sick for most of his life, it didn’t keep Sam Berns from having a happy life. His approach to dealing with long term chronic illness was very straightforward:

• I’m okay with what I ultimately can’t do because there is so much I can do.

• I surround myself with people I want to be with, people of high quality.

• Keep moving forward. I always try to have something to look forward to. Something to strive for to make my life richer. It doesn’t have to be big.

• I try hard not to waste energy feeling badly for myself, because when I do, I get stuck in a paradox, where there’s no room for any happiness or any other emotion. It’s not that I ignore when I’m feeling badly, I kind of accept it, I let it in, so that I can acknowledge it, and do what I need to do to move past it.

• Never miss a party if you can help it.

Watch Sam's TED Talk. Hard to believe he had this much wisdom as a 17 year old. 



No comments:

Post a Comment