At a party, a friend was extolling the virtues of Marie Kondo’s book “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing” So while "tidying up" may not be your cup of tea, the idea that you what you look at every day should “spark joy,” set me off on a completely new way of looking at my house, office and all the stuff that’s in it. In addition, it made me think about what sparks joy in my life and how to increase that.
Below are a variety of ways to bring Tokimeku into your life:
• Kondo’s ideas about “sparking joy “ in your home
• Observe what you see upon waking up. Does is spark joy? What could you move, replace or change so that the first thing you see each morning will be pleasing to you? Try this same thing in various rooms in your house, as well as your office, garden, patio and any place you spend time.
• Think about your morning, exercise and other rituals. Do they spark joy in you? How can you change them up so they do?
• Make a collection of like things that you love but may be spread out around the house. For example, organize earrings on a dream catcher allows you to enjoy them all at once.
• Find a jar/container that you enjoy and put all your loose change in there.
• Visit someplace or someone that sparks joy.