Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Take a Break: Try the I Ching

-->
A friend, who worked in advertising, described how one day when she couldn’t figure out what to do with a project, she went strolling through a bookstore and came across the I Ching or the Chinese Book of Changes. She decided that nothing else seemed to be working so she’d give that a try. This piqued my interest and so I decided to learn more about it.

While it’s a very old form of  divination, it’s actually an interesting way to open the mind to new possibilities. The I Ching has served for thousands of years as a philosophical taxonomy of the universe, a guide to an ethical life, a manual for rulers, and an oracle of one’s personal future and the future of the state. It was an organizing principle or authoritative proof for literary and arts criticism, cartography, medicine, and many of the sciences, and it generated endless Confucian, Taoist, Buddhist, and, later, even Christian commentaries, and competing schools of thought within those traditions. - See more at What is the I Ching


Having now tried it three times, I found that the answers gave me some different ways to view problems and situations. Give it a try on-line at I Ching on-line.

Not interested in today’s activity, go to the Take a Break Pinterest and pick out something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment