Saturday, September 2, 2017

Living with Chronic Disease: Take a Stand for Better Health


I’ve been reading various research articles about the benefits of walking around for 2 minutes after sitting for an hour. Since I spend a lot of time at the computer-I write a lot-I thought I’d give it a try.

I started in mid June and am amazed at the benefits.
• I’m getting a lot more exercise beyond what I get going to the gym or walking the dog.
• Fearful it would break my train of though (a big issue for writers),  it turns out to have the opposite effect. It helps me get a lot clearer in my writing.
• Wasn’t sure if I’d like reducing my lying on the couch and reading time to an hour, but that too has had benefits-less eye strain.
• If I have to give a talk, practicing while walking around my house has turned out to improve my public speaking.
• I tend to straighten things as I walk so the house is cleaner.
• I use my “hour” at the computer a lot more efficiently.
• It’s significantly reduced the stress and aches of my chest and neck.
• Using my Smartphone to track how many steps I’m taking has been an additional positive reinforcement.
• With fall approaching, I’m finding it improves my mood, as the switch from summer to fall in Vermont isn’t my favorite time of year. I also seem to have more energy. Guess there is something to be said for Newton’s first law of motion-a body in motion tends to stay in motion.

All in all, definitely something I’m going to continue. I should also note that though I love walking, I also will stand and stretch, do a few yoga poses, some Qigong or whatever else I think my body could use. I’m now a confirmed pacer when I’m on the phone.

Need some more convincing to try it? Check out the following:

No comments:

Post a Comment